The objectives of the Irish Family History Society are:
- To promote the study of Irish family history and genealogy.
- To promote the preservation, security and accessibility of archival material.
- To promote the recording of gravestone inscriptions.
- To advise all those interested in seeking their Irish roots.
- To encourage the repatriation of information from overseas on Irish emigrants.
- To collaborate with and support other societies with similar aims.
To achieve these objectives:
The Society publishes a journal annually. In addition, a News Sheet is issued each Spring and Autumn containing up-to-date Society information, members’ queries, details of future activities and news from the world of Genealogy. All are available free to members as part of their membership.
The IFHS arranges a number of lectures and seminars throughout the year which are held at the Dublin City Library and Archive, 138/144 Pearse St., Dublin 2. The Annual General Meeting is held in the Spring followed by 2 guest speakers. A full day seminar is held in Autumn. Our various guest speakers cover a wide range of topics and are always popular. All meetings apart from the AGM are open to non-members who are always welcome. There is no admittance charge and no booking is required. In addition we have a number of outings throughout the year.
Members are encouraged to view the News Section of the Society’s website on a regular basis to be kept up to date with family history happenings. There is also a closed Facebook page for members only.