The Decade of Centenaries bursary scheme was established to encourage and support new local research and local history studies in a meaningful examination of local, regional, and national events during the Struggle for Independence and the Civil War period.
Applications will be invited for amounts ranging from €1,000 to €10,000.
Applications are welcomed which focus on any of the themes listed below:
- New research to explore local legacies, personalities, places, events, and themes that have particular significance within communities, parishes, and counties;
- New research to explore the fates of the minority communities on both sides of the border following Partition;
- New research to explore the contribution and experiences of women during this period, e.g. women’s participation in political, military, professional, and domestic roles;
- New research exploring Ireland and the Wider World, including local connections, emigration, and the role of the Irish Diaspora in the events that occurred during this period; Ireland’s admission into the League of Nations, and Ireland’s membership of the International Labour Organisation.
- New research exploring a changing society during this period, focusing on social history; popular social, cultural, and civic movements; the Irish language; creative thinking and the arts; sport; and innovation;
- New research exploring nationhood, identity, and State-Building – the establishment of a new Irish Free State and the challenges faced by the emerging Irish State;
- New research exploring how the events of this period have been remembered and commemorated within families, communities, and parishes over the past century – how the process of commemoration has evolved.
- New comparative research exploring the Irish period and associated themes in an International context.
- New research exploring ‘Emotions, experiences, and expectations’ – what was felt and what was hoped for through revolution, civil war, and beyond.
- ‘History and commemoration revisited’ – new research reflecting on the Decade of Centenaries – its impact and legacy.
- New research exploring ‘The process of rebuilding a nation’ – reflections on healing, repairing, and re-building following the Civil War
Further details can be found here and any queries can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org